Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Favorite Family Recipe: Jambalaya

A few years ago, I found a great crock pot recipe online.  It's a Southern-style jambalaya, and boy, do we love it!  I know I found the recipe through Parents Magazine online, but it's been awhile since I made it, and in the meantime, the website removed the link.  I was distraught as I realized one of my favorite bookmarked recipes is gone forever... unless.... Didn't I put all the ingredients into an Excel grocery list awhile back?  Surely, I'd be able to remember how I tossed it all into the crock pot if only I could see the ingredients.  Luckily, I was right!  For my sake (as to never "lose" this recipe again), and of course, for your sake also, I am including the recipe here today!

So, giving credit where it is due, I owe thanks to Parents Magazine for the original recipe, although what you see below is my variation over the years.  After realizing once again how easy it is to chop and toss the veggies into the slow cooker, I am considering this dish as one I might serve at little Luke's birthday party on Saturday.  I'll keep you all posted on that.

Without further delay, here is one of our family faves!

Ingredients:

1 large onion, chopped
1 green pepper, chopped
1 red pepper, chopped
3-4 celery ribs, chopped
3-4 cloves garlic, chopped
10-12 oz. frozen corn kernels
1 lb. hot Italian sausage, casings removed, in 1/2 in. pieces
1 small can chopped clams, drained
1 can diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted, as it adds to the spicy flavor)
1 small can tomato sauce
1 cup (or so) veggie or chicken broth
1 tsp (or so) Cajun spice
several shakes of sea salt
1.5 - 2 cups brown rice (original recipe called for instant)
10-15 small shrimp
3-4 chopped spring onions, for garnish

It couldn't be easier!  Chop all veggies and throw them into the slow cooker.  Add meat and frozen corn.  Next, add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth, salt and spice.  Toss around the crock pot with a big spoon, making sure sausage is nicely separated.  Cook on high 3-5 hours. 

*If using regular brown rice, add rice one hour before serving.  If using instant rice, cook as directed, and add rice upon serving. 

*If using uncooked shrimp, be sure to add 45 minute before end of cooking cycle.  Check your shrimp before serving!  Shrimp should be opaque and red in color.  I usually use frozen cooked shrimp, and only add  them10-15 minutes before serving. 

Enjoy!  [Photo to be uploaded soon]



















No comments:

Post a Comment