Tuesday, July 13, 2010

New Recipe - Granola


Another fun new experiment has been making our own granola.


Here is the recipe that we love:
 
2 cups old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup wheat germ (I didn't have any wheat germ so I substituted ground flax seed that I had in the fridge.)
2 tbs dark brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
 

1/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup sweetened flake coconut (I used unsweetened and it turned out fine)
1/3 cup dark or golden raisins (I also used dried cherries) 

1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup maple syrup (When I didn't have enough maple syrup, I used a little bit of honey to make up the difference - it was yummy!)
3 tbs canola oil
1 tbs water 



Adjust oven rack to middle position. 
Heat oven to 275 degrees. 
Coat a 9-by-13-inch metal pan with cooking spray, then set aside.  
Mix oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, salt, walnuts, and coconut in a bowl. 
Bring syrup, oil, water and cinnamon to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat.
Drizzle over oat mixture, and stir to combine. 
Pour mixture onto prepared pan. 
Working a handful at a time, squeeze cereal to form small clumps. 
Bake for 30 minutes. 
Stir in dried fruit. 
Continue to bake until golden brown, about 15 minutes longer. 
Let cool. 
Enjoy!

Granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to two weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment