Sunday, November 14, 2010

Thank goodness for breastfeeding!

I spent the better part of last week sick.  It was just a cold, but wow, was it a bad one!  I tried to keep Luke close to me in order to keep him well.  I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but whatever antibodies my body was making to fight off infection and sickness would be passed to Luke through breastmilk.  I was not sure how this would work now that Luke nurses less frequently, but luckily my intuition was right.  He was bit unlike himself for a few hours on Friday, but other than that, this illness passed him by.  Yay for Mother Nature and her miracles!  This is just one reason I am so pleased that we both took so well to breastfeeding. 
  
Of course, this is also a timely understanding.  I was beginning to feel disheartened with our nursing.  Luke is so strong and mobile now, and he likes to grab and claw at me during feedings.  Also, his teeth have made nursing less than pleasant for me.  Getting sick and realizing that Luke probably stayed well because of breastfeeding has renewed my sense of what is right about the experience. What a true miracle of nature! 

No comments:

Post a Comment