Friday, November 5, 2010

I'm a talker!

Maybe I am not as fluent as this post's title suggests, but today, I said my first word:  I said mama! 

I have made the sound "ma-ma" many times before, just as I have done lots of babbling over the past couple months, but I never meant anything by it.  Today, I looked at Mommy and said "mama" clear as day!  She was so excited, she smiled and hugged me, and made me giggle.  I knew she wanted me to say it over and over again because she kept pointing to herself and saying "mama, mama." I obediently replied "mama" right back to her and got more hugs and love. 

Then Mommy started doing the sign for "mommy" again.  I haven't seen her do that sign in a really long time.  She puts her thumb on her chin, and spreads her fingers like she is waving to someone.  That means "mommy" in sign language, in American Sign Language, actually.  She thinks that now that I know the sound "mama" means her, that I will be able to learn the sign.  Perhaps I won't need the sign if I can say the word, but Mommy just likes to teach me all sorts of things that might be useful to me. 

Today is also my 8-month birthday, which means I am carrying on the tradition of hitting milestones on important dates.  Remember all the things I did on Daddy's 30th birthday, September 13th?  Lots!  And, my top tooth is probably going to peek through my gum today or tomorrow.  Wouldn't it be funny if it came through today?!  We will wait and see, and Mommy will keep everybody posted...

No comments:

Post a Comment