Friday, March 26, 2010

Poop, pee, and a few smiles

Okay, so I never thought I'd be able to smile with someone else's poop and pee all over me, but it happened today....

Our doula, Brittany, came for a visit this afternoon, and after, I decided to change Luke's diaper.  He was wearing a disposable, and I wanted to switch him to a cloth for the afternoon.  I carefully folded it and used a cover (see post below for more cloth info...) and dressed him again.  I sat him next to me on the couch as I began to look at our blog on the laptop. 

After no more than two minutes, I heard a farting sound come out of Luke, and I thought I would try him on the potty quickly before re-diapering him (more on baby potty-training in a later post).  I carried him upstairs to get the potty, and brought it back downstairs.  I put Luke on the changing table to take off his diaper, only to find he had already gone... a lot!  Luke was so squirmy, he got his foot right in the messy diaper.  UGH!

I determined the best way to clean him would be to run him under the faucet in the kitchen sink.  I hastily undressed Luke and carried him to the kitchen to find a sink full of clean dishes in the in-sink drainboard.  I one-handedly emptied the drainboard while Luke hung limp, naked, and very poopy over the other arm.

Luke decided to take this opportunity in the open air to pee while elevated four feet in the air.  Unfortunately for me, those four feet began at the top of my legs!  I walked away from the experience with my right pant-leg completely covered in newborn urine.  Of course, I got Luke dry and warm, then changed him first before taking care of my own clothing situation. 

Throughout our experience, I smiled and laughed.  My own child's bodily functions do not gross me out in any way.  What can I say?  I guess I'm just a mom!

1 comment: