Thursday, June 23, 2011

The big 3-0!

Honestly, with all the thought about the new baby arriving, I haven't given much thought to my upcoming birthday.  Some of you know that it is possible that the baby and I might share a birthday.  I am not necessarily hoping for that, but given the dates, it is very possible.  This birthday is a big one for me - the big 3-0, and I think I am in some ways happy to have it overshadowed by the birth of the baby.  I don't really want to think about getting older and time that has passed (even though most of that time has been wonderful).  I don't think 30 is old, but each birthday marks the passing of time, and that in and of itself is a little, well, concerning.  You don't get it back, after all.
Yesterday, I was scrolling through some of my blogs and I came across a wonderful idea that I just had to borrow for myself.  The idea is creating a list of "Thirty Before 30" and then completing each of the 30 items before the big day arrives.  For someone like me, who was viewing the birthday as a passage of time, rather than a marker of all the wonderful things that have happened up until that day, this was exactly what I needed to motivate me to do some things I've been wanting to do, and to appreciate my birthday as a milestone.

The "Thirty Before 30" is not a to-do list.  It doesn't read "do the laundry," and "go to the grocery store," etc.  These are more meaningful tasks, although some of them can be home-oriented.  Not all are huge or life-changing.  At this rate, with just about 10 weeks until my birthday, (and my energy level, which is not so high right now), my list will be simple and achievable.  I have about nine items so far, but I will not share any until my list is complete, as I am a notorious reviser, and I want to get this right before my big reveal.

I'd also like to share with you my inspiration.  Please note, that I did not read her list.  I wanted mine to truly be mine, so I only glanced at a few items before deciding this was a fantastic idea that I wanted to steal for myself.  You can find Amy and all her wonderful musings at Positively Splendid, as well as a link to her Thirty Before 30 list.

Wish me luck in my list creation!

No comments:

Post a Comment