Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Eating

Our big boy loves his food! He's had quite a wide variety of food so far. He started eating solids about three weeks ago. So far he's eaten butternut squash, sweet potatoes, bananas, apples, pears, prunes, and peas. I know that is more than he supposed to have in such a span, but from previous "encounters" with food, I knew he was not allergic to bananas and apples, allowing us to break the four-day food rule.

Luke has also played with some food in original form. He likes chomping on apples, peaches, cucumbers, carrots, and even a taste of tomato. He's even tried some grains recently.

I did not expect to introduce foods before six months, but I followed Luke's lead on this one. He's less fussy and so much more pleasant and relaxed now that food is a regular part of his day. His favorite food is still breastmilk, and we are working hard at keeping a good supply going; however real foods are great for supplementing for a big, growing boy.

I have cooked most of the foods he's eaten, but we also have a stash of Earth's Best jars for keeping in the diaper bag for when we are on-the-go. As I wrap up my last week of work, it helps to have the jars handy in case we run out of our homemade supply of baby food.

I have to give a great big THANKS to Becky and Drew Edelmayer for sharing their baby food recipes with me.  I made a couple big batches of food so far.  We cook, puree, and freeze the food for the boys (me here in Philly, and Becky in Vegas).  It has been fun sharing our food stories with one another also.  Apparently we both have some food-loving boys on our hands!

Here are some of my favorite photos of Luke eating. I also have some video that I plan to share on the blog in an upcoming post.


 Sour Apples
I want my apples now!
Did Daddy forget to mix these up?
These are some tart apples!
All better, but I want more!



Prunes at the Shore 
Thank you, but I'd like to have that spoon please.
That's better.  I'm a big boy, and I like to feed myself.
I might be messy, but I had fun, and I loved my prunes!




No comments:

Post a Comment