Friday, June 11, 2010

SwaddleMe No More!

Since Luke was about a week old, we knew that to get him to sleep well through the night, he needed to be swaddled.  We used the SwaddleMe blankets, which are specially designed for quick and easy swaddling.  About one month ago, I noticed Luke slept longer during his naps when swaddled, and eventually, we were swaddling during almost every sleep. 

We knew that swaddling wouldn't last forever, and we were just waiting for the day when Luke would show us that he is too old (or big!) to be swaddled.  Well, that time has come!

On Saturday afternoon, Luke spent about 20 minutes attempting to roll over on his baby gym.  He tried and tried, but he couldn't figure out that he needed to tuck his arm under him.  He eventually grew frustrated and needed some mommy cuddles to calm down again.

On Sunday evening, he laid on our bed after his bath to read a book, and in a matter of second, he rolled onto his belly.  I was so excited for him, but I wasn't counting this as his first "roll over" since our bed is so soft, it was very easy for him.

On Monday morning, Luke played on his baby gym while I was working.  I looked over at just the right time, because in that moment, he rolled over all on his own!  A minute or so later, he rolled again, from tummy to his back - and not the same direction he rolled originally!  I am proud to say, that Luke's first roll was a 360-degree event!

That night, I swaddled him as usual and put him in his bassinet.  I came downstairs and listened to the monitor.  After a few minutes, I heard Luke crying, so upstairs I went to try to coax him back to sleep.  When I arrived in our room, I saw him FACE DOWN, swaddled in his bassinet! 

So, on that day, we parted ways with our beloved SwaddleMe blankets.  Luke has shown us that he is too mobile now to use them safely, and so we are putting him to sleep without them.  Sleep has been slightly more difficult for all of us this week, but we expect Luke will be back in his sleep routine soon.

Since his first roll, Luke has continued to roll over at every opportunity.  We now know his favored position for sleeping is on his side or tummy, and that he would love nothing more than to see what is on the underside of his changing table. 

Oh, the joys of a growing baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment